I’ve been eyeing this diamond terrarium from Urban Outfitters but there was no way I could justify spending $44 on a container for plants. This obstacle gave the creative part of me a jolt and I knew I could do something similar for cheaper! So yesterday I visited a few thrift stores in my area on the hunt for my terrarium container. It didn’t take long for me to find it…for $6. It proved a challenge as it was 3 levels & there was nothing to hold the dirt/plants inside when the door is open, but I knew I could make it work. Next stop was the nursery where I picked up my succulents & moss.
The first thing I did was activate the moss (get it wet) and roll it up into the corners of my container to create a barrier for the soil.
Next I took each plant out of it’s pot and mushed the soil around so that it was shaped more like a mound instead of the boxy pot shape. I want the roots to grow outward instead of down since there is limited space on each level.
Then I slid each plant in and covered the soil with moss. I really like the terrariums that people make into miniature worlds with little figurines but I don’t have anything small like that so I took an Eiffel tower keychain that a friend from work brought me back from France & put that in mine. I’ve seen one online that had a little Dr Who Tardis in it, and I am thinking that I need to get my hands on one of those!
Onto the finished product: